The workplace can be a very stressful environment. It’s fast paced, can be cut throat and can sometimes push employees too far in their pursuit of success. Companies are so focused on the state of their businesses that they can neglect the well-being of their employees. Even though an employee might produce great work, they might not be feeling great at all. Long and rigorous hours may produce a good tangible result, but can leave employees stressed and anxious. So, to help combat this growing issue, we’ve curated a list of tips that promote wellness in the workplace.
What is Wellness?
Wellness is defined by Merriam Webster as ” the quality or state of being in good health, especially as an actively sought goal [or] lifestyle.”
Wellness in the workplace relates to all aspects of work life. It has to do with the environment, leadership, overall workplace climate and organisation of the company as a whole. The well-being of workers is what ensures that a company will become effective long-term and thrive. The most successful companies have a structure set in place that promotes the general health and well-being of their employees.
Now let’s get into the specifics…
1. General Health
- Have a doctor or nutritionist come to the office to educate employees about healthy diets and healthy lifestyle practices and/or initiatives.
- Promote the use of healthcare.
- Give incentives to use healthcare.
- Provide healthy meal options at work.
2. Promote Activity
Sitting around all day in an office may seem like a good thing for business productivity but it’s not all that great for the health of your employees. The human body wasn’t designed to sit in one place for 8 hours straight. So allowing employees time to be active during work or providing them with the tools to be active outside of work is key in ensuring wellness.
How do you do this?
- Offer employees discounted gym memberships.
- Provide employees with guidance to establishin a healthy and consistent meal plan.
- Lead by example/show that you’re all in it together.
- Establish an office leaderboard to promote healthy competition.
- Set goals for yourselves as a company and see who puts in the most work to achieve those goals.
- Have a local trainer come in and lead a fitness class.
- Have meetings on the go, or plan a retreat where yoga classes or hikes are part of the schedule.
3. Improve Mental Health
It doesn’t matter how talented or skilled your employees are. If there is a problem with their mental health, they can’t be expected to perform well at work. Mental health is the most important thing in the workplace. If your employees aren’t taking care of their mental health, there is no way that you can have a successful business.
So how do we ensure mental health at the office?
- Provide on-site counseling services.
- Provide incentives for doing good work.
- Show appreciation of good work.
- Offer constructive criticism.
- Implement team-building exercises.
- Reinforce the use of positive communication practices.
- Eliminate the idea of hierarchy.
- Encourage employees to express their ideas, and listen to them.
4. Offer Financial Advice
One of the most stressful things that every employee deals with is how best to handle their finances. With the many expenses each individual has, it can be difficult to know how best to manage your money. So, having a system in place that helps to educate employees on their finances can really help make life less stressful for them, and yourself.
How do I do this for my employees?
- Have an expert come into the office to provide financial advice.
- Provide employee discounts for essential products, such as travel.
- Give employees access to a list of reputable accountants who can perhaps offer them a discount.
- Make sure they know how to pay taxes by having an accountant come in and talk to them about how to file.
5. Encourage a Healthy Diet
One of the biggest ways to ensure wellbeing is sustaining a healthy diet. Healthy food isn’t just good for your body, it’s good for your mental wellbeing as well. Bad foods can leave you lethargic, tired and unmotivated, while good foods can boost your mood, make you more energeretic and help you to become more productive at work.
How can I get my employees to eat healthfully?
- Have healthy food options at work
- Educate employees on healthy vs unhealthy foods
- Invite a nutritionist into the office to talk about healthy eating
- Give employees access to foods that are more nutritious
Employee wellness is not something that should be taken lightly. It’s not something that successful companies should implement just because they have a bigger cashflow. Every company needs to have a system in place that monitors, promotes and encourages wellbeing in their workplace environment. Companies survive with hard work, but they thrive when their employees are well enough to work hard.
Auro for your wellbeing program
Your team is at the heart of your success. Support their health and happiness with Auro for Work as we offer businesses competitive rates. For more information in our wellbeing offer for companies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .